13th August, 2015 marked fifteen years to the day that we lost the beautiful Nazia Hassan to cancer. Nazia, who started her career with the magical ‘Aap Jaisa Koi’ in 1980 captured the imagination and hearts of an entire generation that grew up on the music put forth by Nazia and her brother Zoheb Hassan.
Here’s The Orange Wall’s top five favourites.
May her magic continue forever.
1. ‘Aap Jaisa Koi’: The debut song from Feroz Khan’s film ‘Qurbani’ that catapulted Nazia into instant stardom and won her most awards for best background singing in India.
2. ‘Aankhein Milanay Walay’: The song and the tastefully shot video became an instant hit. Nazia, with her flawless beauty, and the melodious composition made it difficult to ignore.
3. ‘Dum Dum Dee Dee Dum Dum’: Say these words to any Pakistani and they would hum back ‘yaad hai bus mujhe yehi sanam’ back to you; such was the power of the chorus of this song.
4. ‘Dosti’: When Nazia and Zoheb sang, the entire nation wanted their sibling to be as cool! The coordinated steps, the rolled up sleeves – no wonder the duo was famous not only for their msuic but also for the casual chic image they embodied to perfection.
5. ‘Disco Deewane’: The song that had everyone going deewanay forNazia and Zoheb. The spirit of the song is as fresh today as it was when it first came out; so much so that popular Bollywood director, Karan Johar, adapted the song to use it in his film ‘Student of the Year’ and it became an instant chart-topper once again!
Video credits: Dailymotion